Monday, March 17, 2008

What's for Supper?


It's that time again, and since last week I never bothered to post (we had some good stuff, but I don't feel like rehashing), I figure I better get back on the wagon. Currently, I've got tomorrow planned, but I am hoping that by the end of this post, I'll have the whole week done. Motivation, thy name is blog.

OK, so here goes. Including yesterday. Thanks, Laura!
Sunday: Lunch: Cashew Carrot Ginger soup (highly recommended), baguette, 4 cheeses (provolone with garlic and herbs, a basque sheep/cow cheese that rocked, an Italian truffle cheese that I liked but he didn't, and a Comté), sliced apples.

Supper: Boneless Pork Spare Ribs with Kentucky BBQ sauce (Target boutique version), steamed asparagus, baked potatoes with butter and sour cream.

Monday: Chili with cheese and sour cream, beer. (Love those simple meals!) Note: we're not Irish, and don't like being pinched, so we don't celebrate St. Pat's. Except with the beer.

Tuesday: (friends who just visited France are coming over, so we're making at Breton specialty). Gallettes de Sarrasin with lardons (bacon), egg, mushroom and cheese served with sour cream (a good stand in for crème fraîche, because the American kind tastes weird), green salad with vinaigrette, baguette, hard cider. Our friend is bringing the dessert.

Wednesday: Jambalaya (I'm going the lazy route with a mix) with chicken, green salad.

Thursday: Hamburgers and Fries (yeah, also lazy, but I'll toast the buns!)

Friday: Urgent Enchiladas* (not authentic, but delicious! Recipe follows.)

Saturday: Lunch Grilled Ham and Cheese, chips, carrots and pickles.

Supper Round Steak (my mom's recipe, slow roasted with tomatoes and onions), baked potatoes, asparagus (if they still have the lovely stuff we got last week.)

Sunday: Lunch Leftover enchiladas

Supper
some sort of soup, bread and cheese.


*Urgent Enchiladas
The name came from an email from my MIL: "Urgent!!! I need your enchilada recipe!"
  • 8 flour tortillas
  • 1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned with onion and drained (optional)
  • 1-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (1 if meat, 2 if no meat)
  • 1 jar ChiChi's salsa (theirs is really good--Fiesta, Fire-Roasted, whatever. All good.)
  • 1 can MILD Old El Paso red enchilada sauce (I don't get the Hot or Medium. They're really hot! Dr. B eats habanero sauce on his eggs, and he thinks they're too hot!) You can use 2 if you like them really juicy.
  • Shredded Mexican-blend cheese, about 2 cups (Sargento is good, and doesn't have any spices added, just 4 cheeses. Or use cheddar or whatever.)
  • Taco seasoning (about 1 T.) (I have used regular taco seasoning, but right now am using Penzey's Bold Taco, which I love. Doesn't much matter though, whatever you like, or make up your own from the spice cabinet.)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Brown meat (if using), add beans to pan and heat with about 1/2 jar of salsa and taco seasoning. Heat until most of the liquid is gone. If you're doing only beans, you could mash them a bit so they're easier to eat. I hate refried beans (too mushy) so that's why I use whole beans, but I go the easy route and get the canned ones.

Grease a 9x13 pan. On each tortilla, put about 3 T. cheese in a line, add filling (about 1/2 cup) and roll up. Nest together in the pan. Your pan will be really full.

Cover with enchilada sauce, making sure to cover all surfaces, especially ends. Pour leftover salsa down the center of all the enchiladas, and top with any leftover cheese.

Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until bubbly, covered with foil. Serve with sour cream, lettuce and black olives if desired. Serves 4 very generously, or more if you serve it with some side dishes like rice, beans, salad, etc.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

We will definitely be trying the Urgent Enchiladas! They sounds so good...I'm a sucker for black beans!

Anonymous said...

I freaking love the name Urgent Enchiladas! :) I wish I could get half those ingredients. I can actually get dried black beans now, but when recipes call for a can I don't know what to do. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...