Monday, January 28, 2008

What's for Supper?*** Updated

I'm on pantry-clean-out mode, due to the overflowing nature of it in recent weeks, and am proud to say I can now open it with nothing falling on my head. My goal is for it to be full of what we're eating this week, a few staples, and not much else, because it's tiny and we don't have room for loads of junk (and frankly we are not really likely to be snowed in for days either, so I need to let go of that obsession.) The fridge, however, is bare except for some citrus fruit, a few condiments, and the random rind of hard cheese, so that will need to be restocked. The menu has been made, the list written, and I'm ready to go shopping! (OK, not that ready. I still need to dry my hair, put some maquillage on, and eat some lunch.)

Thanks again to Laura for hosting this and helping me stay motivated! (Though I admit I put it off until today--I just really needed that nap yesterday afternoon...)



***Update: this all gets bumped. I came home from the grocery store to find that our power was out, and it wasn't restored until 9 PM. I was NOT going to cook pizzas over a candle, thank you very much. So we went to Quaker Steak and Lube and had disgustingly delicious cheeseburgers with wing sauce, blue cheese, and all sorts of other drippy stuff on them. Yum. And we had a really good waiter, which is always nice. Funny, helpful, but not too in your face. And he didn't squat. (I hate that.) Now I'm just trying to get an overtired baby to sleep. Wish me luck.

  • Monday: Homemade Pizza with ham, red peppers, cheese and black olives, salad.
  • Tuesday: leftover potato soup with ham and peas (from Sunday), une baguette, cheese (probably some of that lovely intense Brie from Wegman's), carrot sticks, pickles, applesauce. (you'll see these a lot--we have CPA a lot, especially if there are no veggies to speak of in the meal.)
  • Wednesday: Pesto Pasta with shrimp, red peppers, carrots and zucchini, salad.
  • Thursday: Quickie Beef Chili, cornbread muffins.
  • Friday: PAYDAY! Go out for dinner! (*does a little dance*)
  • Saturday: (Lunch) Chicken strips, fries (remainder from burger night), peas, leftover cornbread. (unless we have good restaurant leftovers, in which this can all stay in the freezer.) (Supper) pork chops, yellow rice, green beans. More leftover cornbread if there is any.
  • Sunday: (Lunch) Tuna sandwiches, chips, pickles and carrot sticks. (Supper) Crock-Pot Beef Stew, bread and butter.

Note: for lunches I usually eat last night's leftovers or a Lean Gourmet or make a quesadilla or something. On the weekends, if I don't plan it and make it at the right time, Dr. B will pig out on chips and chocolate. He's very capable of preparing lunch, but for some reason he has this sort of mental block about it, and would sooner mow down 500 g. of Lindt dark and 1/2 a bag of Sun Chips than heat up some soup. Go figure.

I keep ice cream around for dessert (usually later, while reading or watching a movie) and sometimes make some baked thing during the week if I get inspired. This week I'm thinking about making cupcakes. Last week Rowan and I made coconut chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, but I didn't like the recipe that much (of course, I had to substitute one ingredient, so that could have something to do with it). Of course I ate them all anyway. Heh.

Breakfast is the same during the week (we both like routine). We both have coffee, toast (with choice of butter, nutella, jam, peanut butter), fruit (bananas or citrus), homemade yogurt (I make it in our yogurt maker each week--he eats his with honey, I like plain sour milky goodness). He usually adds a boiled egg or piece of ham. On the weekends, it's either this or he'll make a yummy scrambler with whatever is laying around, or sometimes will run out for patisseries. I don't function in the AM, so don't ask me to cook or leave the house before noon. Putting toast in the toaster takes all the effort I got.

Also: last week I got creative and made stuffed hamburgers based on the Bob's Bad Breath Burgers at the Weary Traveler in Madison, WI. The stuffing was divine, but I need to work on the technique, so I'll let you know when it's perfected.

MYSTERY INGREDIENT QUESTION: I have a jar of tomato ginger preserves (from a gift basket) that I don't know what to do with. Should I serve it with crackers and some sort of spreadable cheese like Chavrie? What other ideas do you have? I'm stumped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say "tomato ginger preserves"? Ummm, yuck! Maybe you should serve it to the garbage can. That combination sounds supremely nasty! My apologies to all who like it, I just can't wrap my taste buds around that one.
Love the idea that you are meal planning. We have been doing that for about 3 years now and it saves my sanity and our wallets! Your cuz in stormy ND

Unknown said...

Tomato ginger preserves sounds good to me--I would have it on a sandwich, possibly a cold roast chicken sandwich with some substantial bread. It might also be tasty with some harder cheese, a biscuit and tea.

You are so glad you're not in Madison right now, Weary Traveler or not, because it's about 2 degrees, the wind is blowing 35 mph and the roads are all covered in thick ice! Our power keeps flickering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...