Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cake

It's January, and that means there's nothing very interesting going on. The Christmas stuff has been put away, there are no big holidays coming up, no trips, and nothing very fun to plan, at least for a while. I'm busy, doing boring crap like sorting clothing and cleaning closets (OK, I just need to do that. I haven't actually started or anything.)

But still, a girl needs a reason to celebrate. So let's celebrate January! Yay! Happy Boringness!

And how, you may ask? Why, with cake of course!

I stumbled upon a recipe on a box of cake mix* (yes I'm lazy. Or efficient. Depends on how you look at it.) before J, A and M got here, and despite having all the wrong flavors, I had the right ingredients in my pantry, so I made a cake. And it was good. Not only that, it got better as it sat. 2nd day cake was yummier. 3rd day? Fantastic. (If it lasts that long.)

Here are my variations, so far. They've both been delish, so I'm sharing. Go ahead and celebrate the tedium. The cake won't care.

* (I buy these little ones because I don't want to eat an entire 9x13 cake by myself. These are just the right size. They make a 8x8 square pan or 8 or 9 inch round size.)


German Chocolate Snack Cake


All the goodness without the goo.

It says 12-14 servings. Or, it could be 1. You decide.

1 pkg. "JIFFY" Chocolate Cake Mix

1 pkg. toasted coconut instant pudding mix, dry

1 egg

3/4 cup coffee

2 Tbsp. oil

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts


  1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8" x 8" square pan.

  2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

  3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

  4. Cool slightly and cut into squares. Serve warm or cooled.


Chunky Monkey Snack Cake


Like the ice cream, but not. It's cake.


1 pkg. "JIFFY" Yellow Cake Mix

1 pkg. banana instant pudding mix, dry

1 egg

3/4 cup water

2 Tbsp. oil

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts and slivered almonds)


  1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8" x 8" square pan.

  2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

  3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

  4. Cool slightly and cut into squares. Serve warm or cooled.


This one is good with chocolate frosting. And I don't measure for the chips or nuts for either, just sort of eyeball it. Whatever amount I don't eat, goes into the cake.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...