Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Crock Full of Morocco. Sort of.

Years ago, I made this dish. And it was delicious (with more salt.) I lost the recipe, then thanks to Google found it again, and it's got a permanent home on paper in my recipe box, as backup in case the internet goes down. (shudder)

Today, I was in a chickpea/chicken/crockpotty mood. With a dash of butternut squash. So I decided to experiment, and made a variation on the original. And it rocks. Really.

It's really, really not traditional. I assume. (I am not Moroccan, I have no idea.) But it tastes fabulous and really fills that hole that needs filling on a cold, blustery January day where you are stuck inside the same four walls you've been staring at for months.

It was even worth the reaction to the cinnamon. It's worth taking a Benadryl. (Not like I'll need help sleeping after all this starch.) It would be better with cilantro, but I don't have any. Either way, yum.

Moroccan-Style Chicken Stew for the Crock-Pot. With Butternut Squash!


1 T. Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped


Put that in the crock pot.

1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks

Dump that in, too.

2 T. flour
2 t. ground coriander
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt (or more, to taste. I oversalted a bit. You should measure.)
1/2 t. chipotle chile pepper (I ran out of cayenne.)
1/2 t. cinnamon


Mix flour and spices, pour over meat, toss until well coated.

Add:

1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 2 inch chunks. (Don't worry, most of it will sort of dissolve anyway.)
1/4 cup chopped green olives with pimiento, drained (the salad ones)
1/3 cup dark raisins, plumped with hot water if they are dried out like mine were.
1 16 oz. can chopped tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
I added a splash of lemon juice, but I don't think it was necessary.


Mix it all together and cook over high heat until bubbly, then turn to low. Mine cooked about 6 hours, until the chicken was done and the squash was falling apart.

Then I added a can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained, and cooked until it was hot.

Serve over prepared couscous or rice.

Rowan's reaction? "YUM! More? More?"

I agree. :)

3 comments:

Mama Bear said...

I just roasted a bunch of chopped up butternut squash in my oven for a salad I'm making tonight. My house smells divine! The salad also has garbanzos in it, and it's supposed to have cilantro as well, but I have to skip that, Hubby hates it. Your recipe sounds delish, I'll have to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

I tried this last week and even my picky hubby liked it! I have a fresh batch in the crock pot as I write this!

Ronica said...

I'm so glad! Yay, someone tried one of my recipes and liked it!!! (doing a happy dance) Dr. B just finished the last of the leftovers on Sunday. I thought it tasted even better reheated. :D Thanks for commenting!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...