Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hockey

Dr. B grew up in a hockey family, in a hockey town, and though he didn't play himself, he is a die-hard fan. Upon marrying him, I had to learn, and quick.

So I did, and we are forever Sioux fans, cheering loud for our guys in green.

Then, we moved to Wisconsin, and when they weren't playing our team, we cheered the Badgers on.

Upon moving to Pennsylvania, we were disappointed knowing that Penn State didn't have a team in the college conference, Hockey East. They have a club team, but it's just not quite the same as the crazy fervor of "yoooooooooooouuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr North Dakotaaaaaaahhhh Fighting SIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUXXXXXXXXX!!!!" (Insert blasting opening chords of "Y'all Ready for this?")

But, PA does have hockey. NHL Hockey, and two teams. We were told to support the Penguins, because someone who my mother-in-law used to work with was married to a former Penguin. A plausible reason, and they are owned by Mario Lemieux, the legendary player. So we turned on the game, and started watching.

Good hockey. Fast game, exciting play, and 2 really good fights. And there's a certain player who's getting a lot of buzz. A very young player who is already breaking records, who has impressed Gretzky, was made captain of his team at 19 years old, and who in his first season scored 102 goals. They call him "the next one".

And he's not exactly ugly. (Go on, girls, look. I'll wait.)

OK, I can root for him them. Hmmm... maybe we'll have to go to a game one of these days...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... I love hockey, too! Take me with!
Your cuz in ND

Carrie said...

Yum, yum! To be fair, I follow the Hershey Bears (AHL) my brother-in-law is the goalie. So, I got to root for him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...