Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Why is it...


Slicker, originally uploaded by MrsBinParis.

...when you finally give up and decide "that's IT! I'm calling for a hair appointment!" and you do, then the day of the appointment you have a great hair day? (It happens to me every time.)

There must be some sort of name for that. Murphy had a law. What is this one called?

Obviously, it's the same thing as when you decide you are going to start teaching again, subbing just very, very part time, and only dependent on finding child care.

The next few days? She is an angel. A happy, giggly angel who gives you hugs and kisses and just wants to spend all her time with you. Figures.

But, I think it's time. Not just for me, although I am looking forward to getting back into the classroom a little bit, maintaining my credentials so I can go back part or full-time when we're ready, and meeting some people, but mostly for her.

When we go to the library to play on their toys, she is in heaven. She loves to be around other kids, and really behaves herself well. She shares with others, smiles and giggles at things they do, and looks up at them with those big blue eyes. And when it's time to leave, she pitches a fit.

I think she needs some time with other kids. And Mommy could use some time, too. Not that I don't love staying home with her, because I do, but I'm listening to my student teaching mentor, Mrs. Swenby, waaaaaay back in 1996. Her motto (and it is the best teaching advice I've received, ever) is "monitor and adjust". Right now, my monitoring says that it's time to let her stretch a bit. And maybe for me to put on one of my old hats. (Or high heeled boots, as the case may be.)

So we'll see. Nothing crazy, and it won't start tomorrow, but it's time to start thinking about it.

3 comments:

Kari said...

I so know what you're saying. I just started back to work this week, and Sami (16 months tomorrow) started day care. It's rough on me...leaving her, but she is LOVING it! I can not believe how much harder this transition is on me, but I am SO happy for her.

Good luck, I'm sure you will both find your happy place.

Mama Bear said...

Good luck with the decision to start, with the day you do, and with all the classrooms you will be in. Good luck to Rowan making friends and adjusting to not having mommy all to herself all the time. You will have fun, both of you.

Wendy said...

I LOVED MRS. SWENBY! She was great when I was a new kid, joining a month into the school year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...