Friday, December 15, 2006

The Show is Over

We made it. The concert finished, and all 88 kids played fairly well, had very happy parents, and even helped clean up. Of course, the cookies and chips were the thing they cleaned up the most of, but at least they were helping.

For the most part, things went well. The day concert was definitely rough, but the teachers were impressed, and the kids were scared enough to try harder that evening. (Always a good thing.) I waited after school, eating cold pizza and enjoying a visit with Dr. B, until it was time to get dressed and do it all again. The kids came in, dressed up in their best, excited and ready to go. Aside from some trouble calming them down enough to get them tuned up (I can't stand on a chair when I'm in crutches, and music teachers generally don't carry whistles), they followed directions well and were eager to start. (Well, except the "SSSHH!!" direction--that one is still difficult for them.)

The Beginners played beautifully, and their eyes shone as they performed each tune. The Intermediates climbed on stage, and we had a little more trouble than we expected. Our trumpet section, rather than counting four measures of rest, counted four beats. Woops. Then, several other sections jumped on the bandwagon (har har) and came in early, too. I didn't quite know what to do, so I just beat a four-beat pattern until we had a general consensus, and went with that. Not a success, but we made it to the end together. Mostly. Their second piece, a much harder one, went really well. Sometimes it pays to have a scare.

The Advanced group played better than they have in a long time, and it was fun to see the excitement in their eyes, which is often a rare occurrence from Middle Schoolers, unless we are talking about food. They even told their teachers the next day how well they had done the night before--I guess they were proud.

We all joined the parents for a reception, and I made my way to a chair. The parents were very gracious, and I received many compliments, thanks, gifts and even a gorgeous giant poinsettia. Seems this sub job was a definite success.

Unfortunately, my knee took a beating, and is sore and throbbing today. Plus, my foot swelled up, and even now, 24 hours later, it looks like a baby foot, size 8 adult version. I guess I overdid it. (7:30AM to 9:30PM. You think?)

Dr. B made me a cheese sandwich and a glass of milk, and I climbed into bed, exhausted, at 10:30. Though I was proud to have been off the pain meds for 3 days, he insisted I take one before he took Lucy out for a walk. He came home about half an hour later, and walked in the bedroom. I hadn't drifted off to sleep yet, but I guess the reality of our success, and the pain pill, had both kicked in.

My eyes were shut tightly, and there was a big grin on my face.


Just one more to go...


PutYourFlareOn said...

Almost there, darling! You can do it! Enjoy your weekend! Take care!


Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of a pregnant woman! I remember being unable to even look at red meat....couldn't even go near the meat counter. But I developed this amazing craving for chili dogs !~! Had never even tasted one before that. Kristi was crazzzzyyy for fresh berries and any kind of fruit juice. I would bring a quart of fresh strawberries up to the hospital(bedrest in hospital from 30wks-35wks)and eat the WHOLE thing in a few minutes. She would drink quarts of juice in a sitting. WEIRD. Fom someone who is a self called food junky this was a switch...craving mostly fruits and veggies. Jenn had a craving for salted nut rolls and had been known to eat the giant size on occasion....weee! She is usually not a candy eater. Strange how the body reacts....hmmmm? It is all quite amazing. B

Carrie said...

Yea!!! way to go! Keep us posted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...